Saturday

I've decided I need to be a tourist in my own city. So a friend and I headed to the Bloedel Conservatory (which I always thought had something to do with music but I digress) only to discover that this is a tropical mini ecosystem filled with crazy trees and insane birds. And outside there was a very awkward amateur photoshoot going on in front of the fountain with a creepy old man taking photos of some teenage girls in mini-skirts. I kid you not. But I'm trying not to think about that...

So a few shots...and just to warn people, yes, I took many shots of birds sans heads. Not sure why but I just did. And some shots are blurry, but kinda on purpose. So this is intentional and you may not like it and wonder why there aren't any "pretty" shots but that's just how I roll. 


After the Bloedel we headed to the Judas Goat Taberna opening in Gastown's Blood Alley. For those of you who may not know, this is yet another 'hot spot' to open in Blood Alley which is perhaps not the likeliest of spots considering its reputation for drug dealing and dumpster diving but there is definitely an allure. Which made me look into it's history a little...

Apparently, Blood Alley was so named because "unsuspecting ship-workers of the Granville townsite would walk through the alley after pay-day only to get murdered if they didn't surrender their cash." In addition, "...it was the site of the cities first civic buildings, butcher shops (who would toss blood into the alley at the end of the day), and public hangings."

FUN!!!

Anyway, the gentrification of Vancouver's Downtown East Side is a complicated subject that I don't want to get into. But let's just say, I hope there's a balance that can be reached because the space, art and concept of Judas Goat was great. And much fun was had by all.  


Comments

  1. Where's the shot of the crummy beak?
    Awesome shots otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the tail shots, so cheeky (but without actual cheek) and i've been talking about the bio dome this last week so you've solidified my plan to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the bum shots of the birds. That is what it was like in real life and I think you captured it well. I note you forgot to mention the 'first date' playing out on the little bridge over the koi pond.....

    A good day nonetheless. How about the Lynn Valley Suspension bridge next time? Or portraits of my dogs. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely MUST get some Gunner shots! OK, Piper too. We'll have to go somewhere muddy so they can get nice and dirty (well you mentioned wanting to capture their personalities!).

    Let's make a list. Still want to do a Chinatown afternoon...

    As for the "first date"...too close to home. Trying to forget.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment