Apologies

Hollyburn Lodge, Cypress
Photo: Denny Lee/The New York Times

Sometimes it takes a stranger to make you see what's right in front of you. This time it was Denny Lee of the NY Times.

Photos: http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2010/02/14/travel/20100214VANCOUV_index.html
Article: http://travel.nytimes.com/2010/02/14/travel/14hours.html

I've had a tumultuous relationship with Vancouver over the past few decades (yikes). Leaving and returning ad nauseum for over 15 years. I've finally realized that it is more than just a good base to come back to after exploring the world. I really do consider this home. This NY Times collection of photos solidifies a feel for this city that I often need reminding of. Is Vancouver a little provincial? Yes. Does it lack a strong sense of history and culture. Sometimes. But it is certainly trying to progress out of its small town roots and into a dynamic urban center while holding onto it's outdoorsy core. A fine balance indeed. But with the momentum from the Olympics we have an even better chance of seeing more innovative and creative people take the challenge of making Vancouver not only the most livable place on earth but the most exciting. 

So Vancouver, this is my apology to you. For being so noncommittal, wishy washy and at times dismissive. Time for me to stop whining about what you lack and remember what you offer. And while I appreciate you allowing us to have an open relationship, giving me free reign to travel extensively and perhaps even one day live elsewhere, I can safely say, I will likely always come back to you. And right now, in my eyes, you are all kinds of awesome.

Comments

Post a Comment