Need to Post

Haven't had the opportunity to take any pics lately so I am in revisiting mode. This time...Baja. I had been wanting to go kayak/camping in Baja for years but had a hard time finding people willing to join me. Early last year i said "f*ck it, i'm going". I did my research and found this awesome low-key outfitter from Gabriola (http://www.bajakayakadventures.com - many of my pics are on their website). I signed up for a 6 day South Islands tour and it was bliss. A tad more challenging than I had thought, but still bliss. I spent 6 showerless, amazing days in a kayak, on secluded beaches... I was in heaven. The one vivid memory I have of returning is having the best shower of my life at the cute hotel I was staying at. Let's just say it included a beer and bag of doritos (I couldn't figure out which was more important out of the 3 so decided to do a combo deal).

But seriously, anyone considering a trip like that needs to go with BKA. A family run business in every sense. They are still good friends to this day and I cannot wait to head back down there for another trip.

One of the best things about this outfitter is how communal everything is. Everyone is responsible for a certain number of meals which cuts down on trip costs and keeps everyone on the same playing field (nothing worst than being 'served' by someone you are spending 6 days with 24/7). I have to say, I have cooked in many kitchens, but making breakfast here (I believe it was mango/coconut oatmeal with fruit salad) was a high point of my culinary experiences. Best. Kitchen. Ever.
On our way into the islands we shared a beach with several fishers for a night. Although they were out fishing for most of the night so I guess that's a technicality. I wish I had had more time to talk to them though. But I think the whole gringo vibe made them nervous so we kept our communication to a minimum. I have to say, I'm still not sure if it's a past life thing but I am all over the ocean/fish market/rotting seaweed smells. Feels like home.


Cutest hotel ever. Very mexican although run by an American. Highly recommended if anything for the guacamole that her boyfriend makes for you if you happen to just be hanging around (http://www.ladamianainn.com).

Comments